Sturgeon’s Law (of Music)

Sci-fi writer Theodore Sturgeon came up with an adage that 90% of science fiction is crap. The remaining 10% is, you guessed it, the pinnacle of science fiction.

What if this was a way to describe how music making is like? That 90% of our output is crap while our good stuff is in that 10%?

Does it sound like an invitation to give up?

I don’t see it that way.

Does it sound like an invitation to perform more, to compose more, to listen more, to organize more, to create more, to do more?

Hell yes.

The more we put our musical work out there, whether it be in recitals organized or blog posts published, the more we grow our 90% that will lead to a stronger 10% of our best work.

And it will all add up to a musical journey that was lived 100%.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: